6 month temporary
Location: New Malden
- A role within the Commercial Credit Underwriting team servicing the Wesleyan Bank (and Subsidiaries) commercial sales effort. Reporting into the Team Leader you will be responsible for the underwriting of small ticket asset finance and short duration loan advances (flow deals).
- The approach to underwriting employed by this role will be rules-based led but with some degree of underwriter discretion within defined parameters as set down in the Group’s Commercial Credit Policy (CCP).
The role is office based with the following primary responsibilities:
- Underwriting of a defined stream of asset finance and short term business loan opportunities originated via the direct sales force and 3rd parties (primarily IT resellers, affinity partners and a small number of PII and finance brokers)
- Where applications for credit fall outside of own book lending appetite but are within the strategic objectives laid down by the business, proactively seek to obtain supporting approvals from a small, defined panel of supporting transactional funders
- Ensuring always that appropriate actions are taken to protect the business from adopting unnecessary and/or unmitigated risk positions to the fullest extent afforded to this role
- Ensuring that the policies and procedures laid down in the CCP are followed at all times
- To utilise any delegated underwriting authority granted by the business in a fashion that demonstrates robust decision making along with appropriate commercial latitude where appropriate
- Work to deliver an exceptional credit underwriting service to the business and its customers
- Leverage technology and process to maximise the swift, efficient and effective underwriting of transactions while operating within the prescribed risk management framework set down by the business
- Demonstrate actions that promote a culture of ownership, quality, continuous improvement and outstanding customer service
- Take on other tasks as required by your line manager to support the growth of the business
The role will be based in New Malden but occasional short-term visits to the other offices including the direct sales team Northwich office, and Head Office in Birmingham may be required from time-to-time.
Key performance indicators
- Delivery of credit decisions within agreed SLA timeframes
- Performance of portfolio underwritten within target default levels
- Performance within all defined compliance measures
- Customer service monitor feedback within targeted levels
- Scheduled audit results within target levels
The following core competencies are considered prerequisite to the role:
- Demonstrate a minimum of 2 years UK-based commercial underwriting experience (this requirement is mandatory)
- Able to demonstrate a sound working knowledge of lending principles and underwriting methodology
- Ability to exercise sound, balanced decision making under pressure and in the face of challenge
- Strong numeracy skills
- A high level of accuracy, consistency and attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good customer empathy taking a customer centric stance and ensuring customer satisfaction
- Organised and be able to prioritise workload
- Ability to take and deliver constructive challenge
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Adhere to stated Company and Group policy and follow established procedures as outlined in the company handbook and compliance policies at all times including, but not limited to Anti- Money Laundering, Anti-Bribery and Data Protection.
- Demonstrate that you and your department have Treating Customers Fairly (FCA) driving your actions.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this role, please email Juana Leacock your CV and covering letter at firstname.lastname@example.org.